Monday, April 13, 2009

THE SPIDER AND THE SNAIL, part 1



Now that Easter is over and I am feeling better, I have a kind of funny little story to share with you. Let me preface this story by saying that I've always liked snails, not to eat, just to look at.

I once read a story about how someone let a whole gaggle of snails loose on an artist's wet pallet and then encouraged them to slither and slide over a clean sheet of watercolor paper. It took awhile but the end result was fascinating...sort of like a slow motion Jackson Pollock painting, but with a few extra squiggles and blops here and there! I was intrigued by the process and the end result, and understand that the 'painting' actually sold for quite a sum on an art auction held somewhere! Imagine, the lowly snail as an artist!

Thus began my interest in the curlicue little artisans and I did this small painting as a greeting card for a friend. It was a long time ago, at the beginning of my 'snail enamored days,' and I never would have thought of it had it not been for the intrigue of a little saga that has been playing out in my kitchen over the winter months.

Sometime last fall, I was about to do a laundry when I was surprised to find a pretty little snail shell in the pocket of a pair of blue jeans.. It is not an unprecedented discovery , as there is a high north facing wooded embankment behind my cottage where it is always shady and moist. The little guys flourish there and I often pick up their left behind shells once they are done with them. I just didn't remember collecting this particular one . Never mind, I'll just put it here on the kitchen window sill where all can see and admire it! The thought occurred to me to take a quick photo of it to send to a friend who also enjoys the charms of La Petit Escargot.

"Get on with it" you say?...OK, but have you ever seen a snail try to hurry?

It's dinner time now and the 'girls' want their meal so I'm afraid that this will have to be continued first thing tomorrow. I promise, and I'll post that picture I took. Thanks for hanging in there!

4 comments:

Janine said...

I like that picture with that smooth colours.
Greetings from Germany
Janine

Doris said...

Thanks Janine, It makes me glad to know that you're watching! More coming up.

José said...

Hi Doris,

If you were portuguese, you wouldn't just like to stare at them....

Kind regards,

José :-))

Doris said...

Hi Jose, I think I know what you mean....oooh noooo, not my pet snail! Didn't I talk to you on Wet Canvas? If not, where is your blog? I want to look you up...