Thursday, April 30, 2009

FAST CAT FERRY

SPLOSH... SPLASH...SCURRY and DASH ! These ships are really moving....!

This piece just had to happen. My studio looks out over Lake Ontario where, several years ago, we were witness to the flopping and floundering of that monster hydrofoil named ' Fast Ferry' AKA 'the cat'! Every day it set out for Toronto from Rochester's port on it's round trip voyage, and every day my two cats would run and jump on the windowsills to see what was causing the huge waves and after shock which could clearly be felt in the studio. The ferry was such a wonderful idea and those who managed to get a ride on it free of incident during it's short lived infamy said that it was indeed, a wonderful way to get to Toronto... and points beyond if you brought your car as was encouraged! Unfortunately, 'the cat' seemed to be born (in Perth Australia) under an unlucky star and troubles followed it wherever it went . I can't document all the things that went wrong with it here but suffice it to say that there were many; bungled permits, missing permits, motor troubles, financial troubles, navigational problems involving damages to all involved, and , I believe, very poor planning from the get go. Fast Cat Ferry flew the wrong flag, I think it was from Nassau, and therefore the city of Rochester was forced to divvy up $6000 per day to have a captain licensed by that country present while berthing the behemoth both here and in Canada even though an American captain was on board, managed fine during the travel times and was very capable of berthing it himself . Another missed opportunity, and one which prevented the Fast Cat from bringing in the income that was hoped for , was the missing permit that would allow large trucks, 18 wheelers , to use the ferry to cut out many miles and hours of travel time between Rochester and Toronto. It would appear that someone must have neglected the arrangement for this particular permit because in the planning stages, the large truck cargo was to have constituted the biggest part of the revenue , ensuring the success of the entire venture!

If you are reading this, I am going to assume that you have had some acquaintance with the workings of the creative process, and will find it quite a reasonable jump for my mind to have absorbed all these facts and blended them into a merry little story depicting the hero's of the tale as frisky feline sailors who could probably sort out the problems with only a few ounces of catnip, a sardine or two and some friendly, internationally flagged, transport fish to get the job done. Here then is my own personal version of the "Fast Cat Ferry" with due credit going to Widget and Sadie who thought of the idea in the first place! We hope you like it. Gentle snickering and giggling allowed.

Giclee prints of Fast Cat Ferry are available from my website.




11 comments:

Janine said...

What a great painting. Your style is so unique.
And a great concept.
I love taht cats riding on the fishes.
Wonderful

Lisa Nelson's Art, Bucks County Designs said...

I love this painting! Your ability to paint texture is amazing! The cats seem very happy with their fishies. I'm sure mine would love this painting as I do!

Fuzzy Brush said...

Hugs, thanks and purrs back to you Janine and Lisa. It's so wonderful to know that someone actually reads my keyboard ramblings and likes my thoughts from the brush! //doris

Kathleen Coy said...

Hi Doris! Thank you so much for your kind comment and for following my blog. I'm so glad you are because now I've found yours! I checked out your website and I love your work, it's like beautiful dreams. Depth Perception is amazing!!!

I just love how many wonderful artists I've gotten to know through blogging!

Fuzzy Brush said...

Kathleen, such nice compliments...thank you thank you...we can start a mutual admiration society! You are right about blogging being a great way to meet like-minded people...I love it! Happy thoughts from the brush Kathleen.doris

artbyakiko said...

Beautiful painting, Doris. So many cats and fish. I love it!

Keely BDD said...

Great painting. You are being followed!!

Fuzzy Brush said...

Keely, you live in my other favorite spot in the country..as a matter of fact, the Rochester, NY area is second only to your neck of the woods for overcast days and lack of sunshine. I love it! Cool and shady! Thanks again, for your welcome words!

Marie Reed said...

This is so fun and vibrant!

bridgette said...

Great painting!

thanks for your recent comments. Let me know if you ever do try encaustics out! Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Fuzzy Brush said...

Thanks Bridgette, I might just do that! I actually did a tiny bit of it years ago but don't remember a lot about it except having to buff it a lot when done.